Wednesday 2 January 2013

Happy New Year!

I've really enjoyed reading the end of year round ups posted on some of my favourite blogs over the last week or so. I've found lots of titles I now simply must read, and am astounded by the volume and variety of books consumed by some of you!

I think I'd better gloss over about my own paltry turnover as, to be honest, I sometimes struggle to read one title a month. I'm often slightly late for my book group because I've been speed reading to the end! It used to be so different, in the days I commuted long distances to work by train and was able to read after 9pm without nodding off...

I still love reading though and wouldn't like to imagine a life without books. So my New Year's Resolution is to make more time for reading in 2013, and thanks to the generosity of my family I have some lovely new reading matter to indulge in.

Two volumes of poetry (which I love but often neglect) with stunning covers...


Three fiction titles

 
The Alexandria Quartet I've been hinting about for quite a while, even though it's quite a chunkster! The Howling Miller is by Finnish author Arto Paasilinna and is one of a limited edition of 300 from the first venture into publishing by the team at the wonderful Mr B's Emporium of Reading Delights in Bath - so it's very special. And I'm about to embark on Cheerful Weather for the Wedding by Julia Strachey so I can take part in Simon at Stuck in a Book's group read later this month. 

And finally, the book I'd been pining for since going to the exhibition at Tate Britain last Autumn


 A beautifully illustrated reminder of Britart in the Victorian era! Reading chair here I come...
 


2 comments:

  1. What lovely books Claire - it's nice to have a well trained family, isn't it? Your chair looks super too - I must get myself a dedicated Reading Chair!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really morphed into a reading chair because of the nice, bright lamp just beside it. It does have other functions too, though, such as a dozing chair, which often seems to follow on from reading these days!!

      5 January 2013 14:48

      Delete

I'd love to hear what you think! Please let me know in the box below